- To encourage good striking.
- To encourage socialising between towers.
Who Can Take Part
- Every ringer taking part must be either a resident ringing member, a life member or an honorary member of the Branch.
- A Tower Band must consist of members who normally ring together at the same tower for Sunday Services. One substitute member who does not ring at the same Tower for Sunday Services shall be permitted.
- Other bands may enter the striking competition. However, they will not be eligible to be chosen to represent the Branch at this competition.
- The Branch can agree to provide a coach/conductor for a band who asks for this. This person must also be a resident ringing member, a life member or an honorary member of the Branch.
- Two minutes’ practice is allowed prior to the test piece, after which all bells should be stood.
- Bands should signal that they are ready by ringing the treble for two whole pulls.
- The test piece is one minute of rounds, followed by 120 changes of any method or 120 rows of call changes. If call changes are rung, then at least two bells (other than the treble) must be brought to lead and at least 12 changes must be called. Plain courses of a method, or plain hunt, are acceptable.
- The test piece should finish with some rounds but these rounds will not be judged.
Entry to the ODG Six-Bell Striking Competition
- North Bucks Branch will choose the Tower Band to represent it based on the results of the Branch six-bell striking competition. The chosen Tower Band will be the highest placed Tower Band which entered the Branch six-bell striking competition.
- In the event that this band is unable or unwilling to represent the Branch then the next highest placed Tower Band which entered the six-bell striking competition shall be chosen.
Rules of the ODG Six-Bell Striking Competition
- Every ringer taking part must be either a resident ringing member, a life member or an honorary ringing member of the Guild.
- The ODG six-bell striking competition shall be open to one team from each Branch. A Branch wishing to participate must be represented by a Tower Band from within the Branch.
- The Tower Band shall consist of members who normally ring together at the same tower for Sunday Services, whether or not they ring at more than one tower and shall be chosen by the Tower in any way it thinks fit. One substitute member shall be permitted who shall be a member of the Branch in which the tower is located.